I love fresh beetroot from the garden. This great vegetable contains potassium, magnesium, iron, Vitamin A, B6, C, folic acid and powerful anti-oxidants.
One of my favourite recipes is “pink risotto”. This recipe will feed approx. 4.
1) Fry off 1 diced onion and 2 garlic cloves in some olive oil.
2) Add 2 tbl sp butter, 2 cups of Arborio rice and stir until the rice turns slightly opaque.
3) Add some thyme, 1/4 cup of red (or white) wine, and continue stirring until the liquid is absorbed.
4) Add 2 big beetroots diced and some chicken or vegetable stock. (you will use up to 1L of stock but you need to add it gradually and stir often so the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom)
5) Continue adding stock once the previous stock is absorbed. Once the rice is softened and the stock is absorbed stir through 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
6) Remove from heat and stir through rocket so that it wilts but is not cooked. Serve hot.
You may like to add 75g of roughly chopped walnuts in step 5 and/or use 125g goat curd cheese instead of parmesan cheese and just crumble it on top when serving.
If you feel the need for some extra protein you may also add chicken or bacon.