Many of you would recall during your initial consult, one of the questions I ask is, “What do you do for fun?” I am often given one of 2 responses.
2. ‘Fun, I don’t have fun’
If I were asked that same question, I wouldn’t know where to begin. I have my animals, art, music, yoga, gym, cooking etc. Where do I find the time? To be honest, I’m not entirely sure. But I do believe in doing things that make you happy, its important for your mental health.
Life is about balance. A balance between being healthy inside and out. We need a balance between work, fun, food, exercise and health. Recognising the things that make us healthy on the inside are trickier to see, and things you do for fun improves the inside, particularly our mental well being.
There are many things that can influence our mental health eg. life situations, stress etc. If we don’t balance this it can get on top of us. We live in a fast pace world which mainly focuses on work, and we need money to live, but sometimes that becomes too much of the focus.
It is difficult for people with children to “find” time for themselves. The fact is, you need to make time. Even if it is half an hour to sit in the sun and read a magazine, we all need time to just be ourselves, not a mum, or a husband, or a cleaner, or teacher. At times we may see this time as selfish when there is so much to do, but when you think about it, don’t you think it is important to do the things that help you be you?
I have put together a few extra ideas to help you on your way to a happier you:
1. Write down 3 things you are grateful for each day, it will make you less stressed and more optimistic
2. Get outside—just a few minutes can give you a new perspective
3. Walk it out—20 min brisk walk will get your blood pumping and decrease stress
4. Eat healthy—give your body the nutrients it needs, if your body feels good your brain will follow
5. Say thank you—it’s a small act of gratitude to boost your positivity
6. Let go of negativity
7. Learn something new
8. Straighten up—our posture dictates how we feel
9. Take time to relax
10. Get enough sleep